Thursday, February 23, 2012

Am I Ugly?

I’m taking a break from my drunken debauchery to talk about something disturbing. Apparently this "Am I Ugly?" thing is a huge craze on YouTube, and it just makes me really sad.

Have you ever read any YouTube comments? Even a video showing cute puppies has comments from the most negative people. It’s just sad that these young girls want to subject themselves to this. If YouTube was around when I was a preteen, I probably would’ve done the same thing. Thankfully I’ve gained a lot of self-confidence since then.

I’ve had people tell me I’m beautiful, I’ve had people tell me that I “need to get some work done” but at the end of the day I love myself and that is all that matters.

Also know that physical beauty is very subjective. A few years ago, Jessica Simpson had a TV. show called, “The Price of Beauty.” The point of the show was “"to meet women, study local fashions, dietary fads and beauty regimes," all in an attempt to explore the meaning of true beauty in different cultures” according to Wikipedia. I found this show very eye opening and it showed me that beauty in Japan is way different than beauty in Uganda, or Brazil. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What one person may call ugly, another will consider beautiful.

This subject also brings up the question, what is “ugly” supposed to mean anyways? To me “ugly” applies to anyone who is mean spirited and full of hate. I don’t care if you’re a Supermodel, if you have a rotten personality, I consider you “ugly”.

To all the preteens, teenagers, and even us adults, know that you are beautiful tell yourself that every day.

Instead ask yourself:

Am I smart? Funny? Witty? Confident?
Am I a good friend? Sister? Mother? Daughter?
Do I do the right thing even if no one else is watching?
Do I want to change the world and make it a better place?

So please ladies, stop with this “Am I ugly?” and “Please rate me on a scale of 1-10” bullshit. Instead listen to “Beautiful” by Christina Aguilera, remind yourself on how awesome you are, and remember that your haters’ opinions DO NOT matter.

0 comments:

© Lunacy and Best Wishes...the chronicles of a petite hot mess, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena